- NY Strip Steak, at least 1 ½” thick
- Cooking oil
- Margaritaville Mesquite BBQ or Calypso Rub to taste
- 1 hour prior to cooking, remove steak from refrigerator and let sit to warm to room temperature.
- Rub steak with cooking oil then with Margaritaville Mesquite BBQ or Calypso Rub.
- Pre-heat grill to high for at least 15 minutes.
- Place steak on grill, wait 5 minutes and flip. If you have a lid, you can close it and shorten the cooking time to 4 minutes per side.
- Once both sides are seared (dark in color but not charred), move steak to a grill to upper rack where the temperature is lower. Continue to grill for another couple of minutes.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to determine when steak has reached your desired temperature (120-125°F for rare, 130-135°F for medium rare, 140-145°F for medium and 160°F for well-done).